The main goal of speech therapy is to improve communication. Some of the goals of speech therapy might include:
· Improving coordination of speech muscles through strengthening and coordination exercises, sound repetition and imitation.
· Improving communication between the brain and the body through visual and auditory aids such as mirrors and tape recorders.
· Improving fluency through breathing exercises.
· Enhancing the learning of language through language stimulation and the use of language through positive reinforcement.
· Improving communication by helping a child learn another way to communicate which might include gestures, signing or augmentative communication devices (note use of these alternate forms of communication will serve to enhance speech development, not impair it).